Note: Components and tools listed within this INSTRUCTIONS box and the printer-friendly PDF, if available, may have been discontinued since
this project was published. Refer to the PURCHASE COMPONENTS and TOOLS AND OTHER SUPPLIES sections for current availability.
These instructions will make an 18.5 inch necklace. To modify the size, adjust your number of beads and chain lengths used accordingly. Note: for a longer necklace, you will need to purchase more chain. In addition to the materials listed, you will also need: pressed organics, gloves, a face mask, toothpicks, and a heat source such as a lighter or small torch. Be sure to cover your work surface when using resin. We recommend watching all videos before beginning this project.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- If you are new to 2-part epoxy resin, please watch the video: How to Use Nunn Design Resin.
- Please watch the video: How to Mix Nunn Design Resin and Castin Craft Pigment to Use on Flat Tags.
- Put on your disposable gloves and face mask. Based on the instructions in the video in step 2, measure your resin and stir with a craft stick until all striations are gone. Then color a portion of your resin purple using the following ratio of pigments to resin: 1 tsp Nunn Design Resin, 1 tiny toothpick tip Blue, 1 toothpick tip Red, and 2 toothpick tips Opaque White. Mix thoroughly.
- Next, use the tip of a clean toothpick to carefully apply the desired amount of purple resin onto your flat tag. Remove any air bubbles with a heat source such a small torch. Let the resin harden and cure for three days in a well-ventilated and dust-free area before proceeding.
- Next, watch the video: How to Use Nunn Design Resin to Seal Pressed Organics onto Flat Tags for Jewelry.
- Again, put on your face mask and disposable gloves and mix another batch of resin, this time without pigment.
- Following the technique shown in the video in step 5, prepare your organics and place them onto your fully cured purple flat tag from step 4. Then use a toothpick to carefully spread a small amount of resin over the entire surface of the flat tag. Again use a heat source to remove any air bubbles, and let the resin harden and cure for three days.
- To create your beaded chain link: Start by using flush cutters to cut your cable chain into sixteen lengths of 5 links each. Then cut fourteen 2 inch sections of 24 gauge copper wire.
- Please watch the video: How to Make Beaded Link Chain With Wire Loops. Take one section of wire and make a wrapped wire loop on one side, sliding on the end link of one chain length before closing the loop. Onto the wire, slide one copper bead cap, one 4mm Austrian Crystal pearl, and one copper bead cap (see photo for reference). On the other side of the beads, make another wrapped wire loop, remembering to attach your next chain before closing the wrap. Create a length of beaded chain that contains seven beads and eight lengths of cable chain. Repeat this process to create a second beaded chain for the opposite side of your necklace.
- To attach your pendant: Use pliers to open a 6mm jump ring, and slide on the hole of your pendant. Close the jump ring. Open another jump ring, and slide on the end links of each of your two beaded chains created in the previous step. Also slide on the jump ring on your pendant. Close the jump ring.
- Finally, open a jump ring and attach the end link on one side of your necklace to the loop of your clasp. Close the jump ring. Then open another jump ring and slide on the end link on the other side of your necklace. Close the jump ring. Enjoy!
(scroll down for purchase options)
- PND-0406 - Nunn Design Flat Tag Pendant, Blank Marrakesh Drop 28mm, 1 Piece, Antiqued Copper Plated
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- SWP-4044 - Austrian Crystal, #5810 Round Faux Pearl Beads 4mm, 50 Pieces, Iridescent Green
Project uses 14 beads. You will need 1 package.
- BMB-3289 - TierraCast Copper Plated Pewter Scalloped Bead Caps 3.5mm (x 12)
Project uses 28 pieces. You will need 3 packages.
- FJR-3093 - Antiqued Copper Plated Open Jump Rings 6mm 20 Gauge (50)
Project uses 4 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- WNT-2435 - Wire Elements, Tarnish Resistant Antique Copper Wire, 24 Gauge 30 Yards (27.4 Meters)
Project uses 28 inches. You will need 1 package.
- CHA-0141 - Antiqued Copper Plated Cable Chain, 2.5mm, by Nunn Design, by The Foot
Project uses 1 foot. You will need 1 package.
- FCL-7520 - Nunn Design Antiqued Copper Plated Lobster Clasps 12mm (2)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- TRC-14 - Nunn Design 2-Part Epoxy Resin Kit, Jewelers Grade Clear, 8 Oz Kit
Project uses 1 kit. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-0034 - Wubbers Classic Series Round Nose Quality Jeweller's Pliers
- XTL-5600 - Sharp Flush Cutter Pliers - For Cutting Beading Wire, 1 Piece
- XTL-0020 - Baby Wubbers Quality Fine Chain Nose Jeweller's Pliers
- XTL-0023 - Baby Wubbers Quality Fine Bent Chain Nose Jeweller's Pliers
- XTL-9920 - Beadaholique Bead Mat, 12.5x9.25 Inches, 1 Piece