Note: Components and tools listed within this INSTRUCTIONS box and the printer-friendly PDF, if available, may have been discontinued since this project was published. Refer to the PURCHASE COMPONENTS and TOOLS AND OTHER SUPPLIES sections for current availability.
- Begin by watching our video on how to braid beaded kumihimo.
- Based on the technique shown in the video, cut two 3 foot lengths of hemp cord in each of the following colors: dark brown, medium brown, light brown, and beige. Tie them together with an overhand knot at one end.
- Wind your threads onto the bobbins as shown in the video.
- Arrange the cords in your kumihimo disc in the following order: Two strand of dark brown on either side of the 32 dot at the top, two strands of light brown on either side of the 16 dot at the bottom, two strands of medium brown on either side of the 24 dot at the left, and two strands of beige on either side of the 8 dot at the right. Attach your weight to the knot after you have positioned your cords.
- String 7 Toho 6/0 seed beads onto the dark brown cord to the right of the 32 dot. Also string 7 seed beads onto the light brown cord to the left of the 16 dot. You may want to reference this video showing how to use glue on cord to form a needle for easy stringing.
- Begin braiding without beads for 1 inch.
- Then add beads to your braid and weave for 1 inch, using all 7 beads per strand.
- Next, watch our video on how to add a large hole bead to beaded kumihimo.
- Based on the instructions in the video in step 8, tie the end of your braid together with a piece of string, remove your cords from the kumihimo disc, and pass the ends of all eight cords through 2 triple twist beads. Then slide the beads down snug against the beaded portion of your braid and untie the piece of string.
- String 7 more seed beads onto two of your cords, then wind all 8 cords back onto the bobbins.
- Repeat step 4, arranging your strands in the kumihimo disc with the beaded strands in the same positions as before. Note: It doesn't matter if they were the same cords that had beads on them to begin with, only that the beaded strands are arranged in the same placement on the disc so the bead pattern won't be disrupted.
- Braid with beads for another inch, using all 7 beads per strand.
- Repeat steps 9-12, this time adding one triple twist bead, one spiral bead, and one triple twist bead. Weave another inch of beaded kumihimo.
- Again repeat steps 9-12, adding two more triple twist beads onto your braid. Weave another inch of beaded kumihimo.
- Continue braiding without beads for 1 inch. Then take your weaving off of the disc, knot your threads, and cut off the excess hemp cord.
- Next, watch our video on how to tie off and finish kumihimo braid ends. Based on the tape technique shown in the video, cut a piece of Scotch tape and wrap it tightly around the unbraided section at one end of your bracelet. Cut through the taped part of the braid with scissors, leaving about 1/4 inch on the bracelet.
- Apply a dab of E6000 glue into one side of your cord end clasp. Then place the taped end of the braid into the cord end. Repeat this step to finish off the opposite side of your bracelet. Allow the glue to dry overnight. Enjoy!
- XCR-3536 - Natural Hemp Twine Bead Cord 1mm Four Color Assorted Variety Pack - 30 Feet Each
Project uses 1 package. You will need 1 package.
- BMB-3126 - TierraCast Silver Plated Pewter Large Hole Spiral Beads 11mm (2)
Project uses 1 bead. You will need 1 package.
- BMB-3130 - TierraCast Silver Plated Lead-Free Pewter Love Knot Triple Twist Spacer Beads 8mm (2)
Project uses 6 beads. You will need 3 packages.
- JSF-0260 - Toho Round Seed Beads 6/0 7BDF 'Transparent Frosted Teal' 8 Gram Tube
Project uses 1 tube. You will need 1 package.
- FCR-4225 - Silver Plated Cone Shaped Hook & Eye Cord Ends - Fits Up To 6.2mm Cord (4 Sets)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-1059 - Eurotool Super New Glue - Heavy Duty Adhesive - 3 Gram Bottle
Project uses 1 bottle. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-1054 - E6000 Industrial Strength Glue Adhesive (0.18 fl oz)
Project uses 1 tube. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-6095 - Beadsmith Lightweight Kumihimo Round Disc Disk For Japanese Braiding and Cording 35mm Hole
- XTL-6108 - No Tangle Flexible Plastic Thread Bobbins For Kumihimo Or Macrame 2 1/2 Inch (8 Pack)
- XTL-6063 - Gator Weight For Kumihimo Braiding - 1.6 Ounces (1)
- XTL-5700 - Fiskars 5 Precision Tip Scissors - Super Sharp
- XTL-9920 - Beadaholique Bead Mat, 12.5x9.25 Inches, 1 Piece
|Ingredients||XCR-3536, BMB-3126, BMB-3130, JSF-0260, FCR-4225, XTL-1059, XTL-1054,|