Kumihimo 101: How to Kumihimo
Learn about kumihimo with our free tutorials and instructional videos, then pick up some kumihimo supplies and try this fun and rewarding technique for yourself.
What is Kumihimo?
Kumihimo is an ancient Japanese form of braiding using multiple strands of cord and/or ribbon. Kumihimo braids are very popular for bracelets but can also be used in necklaces. Different designs and patterns are possible by changing your braiding material, varying the thickness or number of your strands, using a round disk versus a square plate, and also by adding beads to your kumihimo braid.
How to Kumihimo
Though it may seem daunting at first, getting the right supplies and learning the basic technique will have you making kumihimo braids in no time! The modern way to make a kumihimo braid is to use a lightweight foam disk to hold and organize your strands while braiding. Numbers around the outside of most kumihimo disks make it easier to keep track of multiple strands. View our kumihimo project tutorials and kumihimo instructional videos for more details.
Kumihimo Jewelry Kits
Want to learn kumihimo fast? Pick up an Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit for everything you need to make a kumihimo project. Each kit has a free step-by-step video that you can follow along with online.
- Beaded Flat Kumihimo Bracelet Set - Red/Gold - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Long Beaded Kumihimo Necklace - Teal & Gold - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet - Pink Tones - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Beaded Flat Kumihimo Bracelet Set - White/Gold - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet (Purple Tones) - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Necklace - Forest Meadow - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet (Pink Iris) - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet Blue/Black - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Refill - Beaded Kumihimo Wrap Bracelet Kit-Brnz/Grn - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Refill - Beaded Flat Kumihimo Bracelet Set - Blue/Antique Brass -
- Refill - Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet-Pink/Black - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Refill - Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet (Green) - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Refill - Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet - Blue Tones - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
- Refill - Deluxe Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet (Gold) - Exclusive Beadaholique Jewelry Kit
Kumihimo Instructional Videos
Learn essential kumihimo braiding techniques from our instructional videos. Our kumihimo videos show you step-by-step how to make a simple kumihimo bracelet, how to add beads to kumihimo, how to make a flat kumihimo braid and more.
Featured Video: Instructions for Making the Beaded Kumihimo Bracelet Kit
- How to Make a Kumihimo Chain Necklace
- How to Make the Long Beaded Kumihimo Necklace Kit
- How to Add a Large Hole Bead to Beaded Kumihimo
- How to Add Beads to a Flat Kumihimo Braid
- How to Braid Beaded Kumihimo and Make a Bracelet
- How to Braid Beaded Kumihimo with Long Magatama Beads
- How to Make a 10-Warp Flat Kumihimo Braid
- How to Make a Simple 8-Warp Kumihimo Braid Bracelet
- How to Tie Off and Finish Flat Braid Kumihimo Ends
- How to Tie Off and Finish Kumihimo Braid Ends
Kumihimo Project Tutorials
Browse our step-by-step project tutorials, and put your braiding skills to the test on of of the many kumihimo braiding projects created by our expert design team.
A kumihimo disk, braiding cord and bobbins will get you on your way to making these fun braids. There are also findings designed to make finishing off your braids easier, with many kumihimo findings kits available. Find some of our very favorite supplies for kumihimo jewelry in our designer curated collection, Kumihimo Essentials.
*Though they may not have been specifically created with kumihimo in mind, many of ourand can also be used with your braids as long as you pay attention to sizes and scale.