Designer: Kat Silvia
Skill Level: Advanced
Wrap your neck in a lacy bead woven design with these skull tear drop beads hanging down for a delicate look, perfect for All Hallows' Eve.
This necklace measures approximately 16 inches. To modify the length, simply adjust the number of beaded units woven respectively.
- Before beginning this project, please watch our video: How to do a Modified Right Angle weave with Two Hole Beads. Cut off about 8 feet of thread. As you work, you may need to tie off and add more thread. Leave a tail of about 12 inches to attach the clasp at the end.
- For the inner loop, you will string on one 2mm bead, the one kite bead (the larger side), repeated four times. (Please see project photo for reference). Tie an overhand knot bringing the two ends together.
- Then create a thread bridge by going through the second hole of one kite bead. Now string three fire polish beads, go into the next kite bead. Repeat twice more. On the fourth one, string one 2mm bead, one skull bead, and one 2mm bead. Go up through the next kite bead and through two of the fire polish beads.
- Now you are ready to begin the second unit, only this time you will start with the outer circle then create a thread bridge and move to the center. Once you have woven the center, create another thread bridge to work your thread to the point where you can add another unit. Make sure to keep all the skull beads on one side of the design so they hang down. If you get lost as you work, just keep working your thread around so that you are coming out of the right beads. The thread is thin enough to allow for multiple passes through the beads. You can also do multiple passes to reinforce the weaving.
- Weave 14 total units and then make sure the thread is coming out the middle fire polish bead at the end. it should be at the 3 o'clock position if the skull bead is the 6 o'clock.
- To attach the clasp, string on one fire polish bead, then go through one jump ring of the clasp, add another fire polish bead, go through the next jump ring of the clasp, so this bead sits in between the jump rings, and add one more fire polish bead. Go back through the initial bead you were coming out of to complete the loop. Go through the loop a few times to reinforce it. Then weave the tail of the the thread back into the necklace to tie of and trim the thread.
- Move to the beginning side of the necklace and repeat the above step to finish the clasp. Note that you will need to work the thread until it is coming out the right fire polish bead before adding the clasp. Also make sure that the clasp is facing the right way so that it closes properly.
- BCP-141 - Czech Glass, Flat Pear Teardrop Beads with Laser Etched Skull Design 7.5x11mm, 30 Pieces, Jet Matte
Project uses 14 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- BCP-3490 - Czech Fire Polished Glass Beads 4mm Round Jet Black (50)
Project uses 119 pieces. You will need 3 packages.
- BCP-00233 - True2 Czech Glass, Round Druk Beads 2mm, 190-200 Pieces, Matte Jet Black
Project uses 84 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- BCK-013 - Czech Glass Kite Beads, 2-Hole Diamond Shape 9x5mm, 24 Grams, Jet Matte
Project uses 56 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- FCL-5595 - Gun Metal Plated Oval Box Clasp - Ornate Beaded Filigree - 14.5x15.5mm (2)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- XCR-1285 - FireLine Braided Beading Thread, 4lb Test and 0.005 Thick, 15 Yards, Smoke Gray
Project uses 1 Spool. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-3006 - Beadsmith English Beading Needles Size 12 (4 Needles)
- XTL-0373 - Tulip Premium Scissors, Gold Handle 5 Inch, 1 Pair
|Ingredients||BCP-141, BCP-3490, BCP-00233, BCK-013, FCL-5595, XCR-1285,|
Useful Techniques & Learning Guides
Purchase the components needed to make this project. Change quantities as needed to make multiple pieces. Please review project instructions carefully—some items may no longer be available for this project and will not be listed below. Tip: Save this project to your wishlist to easily return to project instructions.
You will need 3 package(s).
1 package = 50 Pieces.
$1.24 / Package | SKU: BCP-3490
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 2 Pieces.
$5.95 / Package | SKU: FCL-5595
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 1 Spool.
$4.84 / Package | SKU: XCR-1285
Earn Reward Points with your purchase of project components or tools.
Tools and Other Supplies:
$2.89 / Package | SKU: XTL-3006
$30.45 / Package | SKU: XTL-0373