Note: Components and tools listed within this INSTRUCTIONS box and the printer-friendly PDF, if available, may have been discontinued since this project was published. Refer to the PURCHASE COMPONENTS and TOOLS AND OTHER SUPPLIES sections for current availability.
- If you are unfamiliar with macrame knotting, please see our Macrame 101 page for an introduction into this technique. Watch the video: How to Make a Shambhala Bracelet, Part 1: Macrame Square Knots.
- Cut off three 30 inch strands of red Super-Lon cord.
- Cut of three 6 feet strands of red Super-Lon cord.
- Take one 30 inch strand and one 6 foot strand and fold them each in half.
- Hold the two folded cords together with the center folds even, so that you have two folded ends at the end and the four strand ends leading away from that. About two inches down from the fold, tie a knot to secure all four pieces together.
- Use the longer cords to tie square knots onto the shorter cords. Continue until the knotting measures about 6 3/4 inches. When you get to the end, finish off your knotting as demonstrated in this video. You will cut all four lengths of cord, because this end will fit into the ribbon crimps later. Be sure to add a dab of E6000 glue to secure these ends. Do not finish off the other side just yet.
- Repeat this process with another set of cords.
- Now take one 30 inch strand and one 6 foot strand and fold them each in half.
- About two inches down from the fold, tie a knot to secure the two strands together.
- Use the longer cords to tie square knots onto the shorter cords. You will make 8 square knots to begin.
- Thread on one brass bead to the two center cords and slide it all the way up to the last square knot you just tied. You will now take your two outer threads and make one square knot around this bead. Repeat with another brass bead, and make another square knot. Continue this process until you have all 26 brass beads onto the strand. To finish this strand, make 8 square knots and then finish it off as you did with the two previous pieces.
- Now you should have three separate strands, each measuring 6 3/4", that have one finished end and one end with a knot. Undo the knot at the top and with your scissors, cut the red loop at the top center of the loop to give your four separate strands. Now you will use these tail ends to finish off the knotting as you had did the other end. Repeat this for the other two strands.
- Line up all three ends, with the beaded strand in the middle and add a dab of glue to the ends. Crimp the ribbon crimp tightly around these ends. Please see the photo for reference.
- Open one jump ring and attach it to the ribbon crimp. Close the jump ring. Open another jump ring and attach it to that last jump ring and one half of the magnetic clasp. Close the jump ring. Repeat these last two steps on the other side.
- All done!
- BMB-5305 - Antiqued Brass 4mm Rounded Rectangle Beads (100)
Project uses 26 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- XCR-4245 - BeadSmith Super-Lon Cord - Size 18 Twisted Nylon - Shanghai Red / 77 Yard Spool
Project uses 1 spool. You will need 1 package.
- FCR-1425 - Antiqued Brass Ribbon Pinch Crimps Cord Ends 10mm or 3/8 IN.
Project uses 2 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- FCL-6825 - Antiqued Brass Plated Magnetic Clasps 6 x 4.5mm (4 Sets)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- FJR-5471 - Antiqued Brass Open Jump Rings 5mm 20 Gauge (x100)
Project uses 4 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-1054 - E6000 Industrial Strength Glue Adhesive (0.18 fl oz)
Project uses 1 tube. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-5700 - Fiskars 5 Precision Tip Scissors - Super Sharp
- XTL-5511 - Beadsmith Jeweller's Micro Pliers Chain Nose Flat Nose
- XTL-5514 - Beadsmith Jewelry Fine Round Nose Micro Pliers
|BMB-5305, XCR-4245, FCR-1425, FCL-6825, FJR-5471, XTL-1054,