Designer: Julie Bean
Skill Level: Intermediate
This heirloom-quality elegant birds nest pendant was created with sterling silver wire and SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS crystal faux pearls. The look is timeless and would make a wonderful gift for a special friend, daughter or mother.
- Below are written instruction but you can also view the video: How to Make a Wire Bird's Nest Pendant. Please note though that the video uses 26 gauge wire and this project uses 24 gauge.
- Cut 5 feet of 24 gauge wire.
- String onto the wire 3 Swarovski faux pearl beads. Slide them about 4 inches down one side of the wire and then twist the sides of wire together, thus securing the beads. Make 2 or 3 twists.
- You will now have an approximately 3 inch tail of wire and another tail that is over 4' long. Leave the 3" one sticking straight out. Take the longer wire end and begin to literally mess it up, make bends in it, twist it in different directions, you can even twist it around a pencil and then pull it off. You can do anything you like to the wire to make it crinkly, just do not create any knots or loops.
- Holding your beads in the center, wrap your long wire around the the outside of the bead cluster 5 times, then anchor the wrapping by threading the wire in and out of the center bead cluster (along the edges, not the center), down and around, up and over your loops. Do this on all sides of your bead cluster. There is no wrong way to do this, just do what you need to secure the wire. Once that is done, wrap some messy circles under your bead cluster, then secure them by weaving the wire in and out of areas already secured. Keep making loops and filling in your wire, you want i t to be messy, the only thing to keep in mind is to keep the shape of the nest circular and fairly even on all sides. Stop when you have about 3 inches of wire left and your last weaving ends at the place where your other 3 inch wire tail is sticking out.
- Tightly twist the wire tails together using your fingers and once you can twist no more, snip off any uneven wire lengths with your flush cutters.
- Create a large wrapped wire loop where the loop itself forms a bail shape (see photo) and then just have a couple tight wraps near the nest. Tuck your tail ends into the bird's nest wrappings.
- String onto a premade sterling silver chain.
- These are addictive to make, have fun making many more......
- SWP-5001 - Swarovski Crystal, #5810 Round Faux Pearl Beads 5mm, 50 Pieces, White
Project uses 3 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- AXC-9191 - Sterling Silver Snake Chain 16 In. x 1mm Necklace
Project uses 1 necklace. You will need 1 package.
- WSS-22435 - Sterling Silver Wire 24 Gauge Round Half Hard (5 Ft.)
Project uses 5 feet. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-5511 - The Beadsmith Jeweller's Micro Pliers Chain Nose Flat Nose
- XTL-5514 - The Beadsmith Jewelry Fine Round Nose Micro Pliers
- XTL-5600 - Sharp Flush Cutter Pliers - For Cutting Beading Wire, 1 Piece
|Ingredients||SWP-5001, AXC-9191, WSS-22435,|
Purchase the components needed to make this project. Change quantities as needed to make multiple pieces. Please review project instructions carefully—some items may no longer be available for this project and will not be listed below. Tip: Save this project to your wishlist to easily return to project instructions.
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 1 Piece.
$11.39 / Package | SKU: AXC-9191
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 5 Feet.
$13.89 / Package | SKU: WSS-22435
Earn Reward Points with your purchase of project components or tools.
Tools and Other Supplies:
$7.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-5511
$8.29 / Package | SKU: XTL-5514
$22.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-5600