You will need to create two weights for this project. I used the dapping tools from my metal dapping set - the heaviest was just under 1 lb. and the lighter one was about half that. If you want this necklace to be longer, just braid extra length in the non-beaded segments, you will not need to purchase any additional supplies this way.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- To start this project, please watch the video How to Braid Beaded Kumihimo and Make a Bracelet. You will not be making the bracelet but the technique is the same.
- Cut 4 strands of Super-Lon Cord, 80"long each. In your Chino Satin Rattail Mix, pick out the light olive green and tan color cords. Fold each in half, and cut - making it so you have two strands of each color, 1 1/2 yard long each.
- Take the 8 cord strands you just cut and tie a simple overhand knot on one end to secure them together. Place the knot through the middle hole of the Kumihimo disk and secure the heaviest weight to the knot.
- Wrap your 4 satin rattail cords into 4 bobbins, leaving about 12 inches between the knot and the bobbin.
- Onto one of your white Super-Lon Cords, string 75 Swarovski Crystal bicones in crystal AB. You do not need a needle for this and can just use the end of the cord to pick up the beads. Next, wind this cord onto a bobbin, winding some of the beads into the bobbin as well. When done winding, you want about 15 - 20 beads outside the bobbin and on your cord between the bobbin and the knot. Leave about 12" of cord between the bobbin and the knot. Repeat this same process with another 75 Swarovski Crystal bicones and another strand of Super-Lon Cord.
- Repeat the step above but use 75 Toho seed beads 8/0 in gold lined rainbow crystal, loading these beads onto a Super-Lon Cord. Repeat this step with 75 beads and another strand of Super-Lon.
- Carefully untangle your strands if they are twisted and position them in the following slots on your Kumihimo disk (make sure you are looking at your disk with the 32 up top): On the left side of the 32 dot, place a Super-Long Cord with bicones on it. On the right side of the 32 dot, place a Super-Long Cord with seed beads on it. On the left side of the 16 dot, place a Super-Long Cord with seed beads on it. On the right side of the 16 dot, place a Super-Long Cord with bicones on it. On the left side of the 24 dot, place an olive green satin rattail cord. On the right side of the 24 dot, place a tan satin rattail cord. On the left side of the 8 dot, place an olive green satin rattail cord. On the right side of the 8 dot, place tan satin rattail cord. Make sure you tension is tight, your strands are all securely in their slots, and the knot is in the center hole hanging just slightly down.
- Start to braid an 8-warp Kumihimo braid and do not worry about adding any beads. Just braid as normal. Braid 3". Switch your weight now to the lighter one. At this point, continue braiding but whenever you get to a Super-Lon cord, add a bead into your braid as shown in the video you watched to start this project. The process is exactly the same, you are just only adding beads when you get to a strand which has them, for the rattail strands, you just braid as usual. Braid 7" of beaded Kumihimo.
- Return the heavier weight to your braid and braid 3" without beads.
- In the video, it shows two methods on how to secure your braid before gluing it to the glue-on finding. Use the method where you wind a piece of Super-Lon cord around the tail of the braid. Wind a bit extra to bulk up the area which will be inserted into the finding. Tie a knot to secure it. Trim off excess cords and place a dab of E6000 onto the tip and a little bit around the side. Insert into finding and let dry.
- Open a 6mm jump ring and attach it to the loop at the top of the finding you just glued in. Before closing the jump ring, link onto it one of the oval jump rings which comes with the findings set. Close the jump ring. Open that oval jump ring which was just attached and link one half of the toggle clasp onto it. Close the jump ring.
- Repeat the last step on the other side of your necklace.
- All done! Enjoy!
(scroll down for purchase options)
- FCL-4878 - BeadSmith Gold Plated Bullet Findings Kit For Kumihimo Braids - Fits 6mm Cord
Project uses 1 package. You will need 1 package.
- JSH-0147 - Toho Round Seed Beads 8/0 994 'Gold Lined Rainbow Crystal' 8 Gram Tube
Project uses 1 tube. You will need 1 package.
- SWBI-1401 - Swarovski Crystal, 5328 Bicone Beads 4mm, 24 Pieces, Crystal AB
Project uses 150 pieces. You will need 7 packages.
- XCR-4248 - BeadSmith Super-Lon Cord - Size 18 Twisted Nylon - White / 77 Yard Spool
Project uses 320 inches. You will need 1 package.
- XCR-3012 - Beadsmith Satin Rattail Braiding Cord 1mm Chino Mix Tan/Blue 4 Colors - 3 Yds Each
Project uses 216 inches. You will need 1 package.
- FJR-5260 - 22K Gold Plated 6mm 19 Gauge Open Jump Rings (100)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-1054 - E6000 Industrial Strength Glue Adhesive (0.18 fl oz)
Project uses 1 package. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-6095 - Beadsmith Lightweight Kumihimo Round Disc Disk For Japanese Braiding and Cording 35mm Hole
- XTL-5700 - Fiskars 5 Precision Tip Scissors - Super Sharp
- XTL-6103 - Beadsmith No Tangle Flexible Plastic Thread Bobbins For Kumihimo Or Macrame 1 7/8 Inch (8 Pack)