Macrame 101: How to Create Macrame Jewelry
Learn how to do macrame knotting for beading and jewelry making with our free tutorials and instructional videos, then pick up some macrame supplies and create your own macrame jewelry.
What is Macrame?
Macrame (or macramé), is a form of textile-making where fibers or cords are knotted rather than woven or knitted together. Square knots and half hitch knots are traditionally used, and sailors have long used macrame to decorate accessories and parts of ships. Most friendship bracelets are macrame, and this knotting technique can be used to create other styles of jewelry as well. Common materials used in macrame include beading cords made of cotton or linen, hemp, leather, twisted nylon and yarn. In recent years, paracord has become another popular material. Beads, charms, links and other accents can be knotted in with the cord to create a wide variety of designs.
How to Macrame
Though macrame involves knotting, the process of making macrame jewelry is almost like braiding. Multiple strands of cord are knotted together using square knots in a repeating pattern. It is often helpful to have some sort of clamp, clip or macrame board to keep the strands organized and in place. A central cord (or cords) remains stationary and forms the foundation for your knot work. Beads, links, and other accents can be mixed in as you knot or added at the beginning. This technique is best shown visually so see below for step-by-step instructional videos on how to macrame.
Macrame Instructional Videos
Learn how to make macrame knots and create knotted jewelry with instructional videos from our design team. Friendship, shambhala, and paracord bracelets are some popular types of macrame bracelets.
Featured Video: How to Make a Shambhala Bracelet, Part I: Macrame Square Knots
- How to Make Bottle Cap Earrings Using Epoxy Sticker
- How to Make a Zig Zag Double Shambhala Bracelet
- How to Make a Knotting Cord Macrame Bracelet
- How to do a Half Hitch Knot Zipper Pattern in Macrame
- How to Make a Half Hitch Knot
- How to Use Closed Jump Rings in Macrame Half Hitch Spiral Knots
- How to Make a Basic Cobra Paracord Bracelet
- How to Make a Wide (Double) Cobra Paracord Bracelet
- How to Make a Celtic Button Knot
- Product Spotlight: The BeadSmith Macrame Board
- How to Make a Knotted Waxed Linen Wrap Bracelet (beads on the outside)
- How to Make a Knotted Waxed Linen Wrap Bracelet (beads on the inside)
- How to Make a Friendship Bracelet
- How to Use Closed Jump Rings in Macrame Square Knot
Macrame Patterns and Project Tutorials
Find inspiration and step-by-step instructions for creating macrame jewelry with our free macrame knotting patterns and project tutorials.
- Striped Friendship Bracelet
- Retired - Chelsea Bracelet
- Retired - Pink Ribbon Macrame Wrap Bracelet
- Basic 2 Color Paracord Bracelet - Green and Blue
- Basic 2 Color Paracord Bracelet - Pink and Black
- Retired - Wide Double Cobra Paracord Bracelet - Camo and Black
- Narrow Paracord Bracelet
- Wide Double Cobra Paracord Bracelet - Black and Grey
- Retired - Ruby Slippers Shambhala Bracelet
- Knotty Neons Bracelet in Dark Neon
- Retired - Knotty Neons Bracelet in Bright Neon
- Retired - Peace, Love, and Flowers Bracelet
- Retired - Cinnamon Bark Wrap Bracelet
- Bazaar Wrap Bracelet
- Retired - Honey Butter Kumihimo Bracelet
- Retired - Infinity Macrame Bracelet
- Retired - Neon Kumihimo
- Retired - Arrow Macrame Bracelet
- Retired - Connected by Love Bracelet
- Eastern Traveler Bracelet
You can make macrame knots in almost any type of cord. See below for recommended products and accents. Be sure to also check out macrame boards or a handy tool to keep your strands organized and held in place.
Get everything you need for fun macrame bracelets with Exclusive Beadaholique Macrame Bracelet Kits.