Designer: Megan Milliken
Skill Level: Intermediate
This eye-catching necklace is tough yet glamorous, with crystal beads captured in chain maille strands in beautiful burgundy and blue zircon shades.
You will need a second pair of pliers to complete this project. They can be flat nose, bent nose, or whatever else you are comfortable using to open and close jump rings. The measurements for jump rings used in this project are the outer diameter, as regular jump rings (not chain maille rings) have been used.
- Before you begin, watch the instructional video: How to do Captured Bead Chain Maille. This video will demonstrate the technique used in this necklace.
- Using 8mm burgundy blue zircon blend round crystal beads and 10mm, 18 gauge silver plated jump rings, create 21 links as demonstrated in the video. Use two 5mm, 20 gauge silver plated jump rings to secure each end of your chain.
- Using 6mm blue zircon AB round crystal beads and 8mm, 19 gauge silver plated jump rings, create 20 links as demonstrated in the video. Use two 5mm, 20 gauge silver plated jump rings to secure each end of your chain.
- Using 6mm burgundy AB round crystal beads and 8mm, 19 gauge silver plated jump rings, create 29 links as demonstrated in the video. Use two 5mm, 20 gauge silver plated jump rings to secure each end of your chain.
- Add a second pair of 5mm jump rings through the two previous on each end of the blue zircon AB chain.
- Repeat with the burgundy AB chain, and then add an additional pair of 5mm rings to each previous pair.
- Open a 10mm jump ring and hang the last pair of jump rings from the burgundy AB chain, then from the blended bead chain, and then from the blue zircon AB chain; close the ring. Add a second 10mm jump ring through these right next to the first. Repeat with another pair of 10mm jump rings on the other end of the chains.
- Place two 8mm jump rings side by side and hang them from a third 8mm jump ring. Then add another 8mm jump ring side by side to the last so that you have two interlocking pairs of rings. Continue to add new pairs to each last pair to create a chain that is 25 pairs long. Then create a second chain 25 pairs long.
- Open the 10mm jump rings on one end of the beaded chains and attach one end of the 8mm jump ring chain you created. Repeat to attach the second 8mm jump ring chain to the other end of the beaded chains.
- Use a 5mm jump ring to attach the last two 8mm jump rings on one chain to one side of a rhodium plated spring ring clasp with crystals. Then use another 5mm jump ring to attach the last two 8mm jump rings on the other chain to the second side of the clasp.
- SWC-08317 - Swarovski Crystal, 5000 Round Beads 8mm, 8 Pieces, Burgundy Blue Zircon Blend
Project uses 21 pieces. You will need 3 packages.
- SWC-0624 - Swarovski Crystal, 5000 Round Beads 6mm, 10 Pieces, Blue Zircon AB
Project uses 20 pieces. You will need 2 packages.
- SWC-0678 -
Project uses 29 pieces. You will need 3 packages.
- FJR-5110 - Silver Plated Open Jump Rings 10mm 18 Gauge (50)
Project uses 88 pieces. You will need 2 packages.
- FJR-5510 - Silver Plated Open Jump Rings 8mm 19 Gauge (50)
Project uses 296 pieces. You will need 6 packages.
- FJR-5150 - Silver Plated Open Jump Rings 5mm 20 Gauge (x100)
Project uses 26 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- FCL-4829 - Rhodium Plated Spring Ring Clasp Set With 12 Swarovksi Crystals 15mm (1)
Project uses 1 piece. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-5511 - Beadsmith Jeweller's Micro Pliers Chain Nose Flat Nose
|Ingredients||SWC-08317, SWC-0624, SWC-0678, FJR-5110, FJR-5510, FJR-5150, FCL-4829,|
Purchase the components needed to make this project. Change quantities as needed to make multiple pieces. Please review project instructions carefully—some items may no longer be available for this project and will not be listed below. Tip: Save this project to your wishlist to easily return to project instructions.
You will need 2 package(s).
1 package = 50 Pieces.
$2.99 / Package | SKU: FJR-5110
You will need 6 package(s).
1 package = 50 Pieces.
$1.49 / Package | SKU: FJR-5510
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 100 Pieces.
$4.04 / Package | SKU: FJR-5150
Earn Reward Points with your purchase of project components or tools.
Tools and Other Supplies:
$7.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-5511