Designer: Rachel Zaimont
Skill Level: Intermediate
Turn these shimmering Sugar Stone druzy cabochons into buttons you can wire-wrap in this trendy, eye- catching set of wire wrapped bangles.
While you're working, your wire might get kinked or bent. You can use nylon-tipped pliers to straighten your wire and remove any kinks as you work.
- Watch our video on how to make wire wrapped bangles with gemstone focals. You will be using a variation of the embellished wire wrapping technique to make these bangles.
- Take one button back finding and dab a bit of E6000 around the edges of the round pad, avoiding the hole. Then press it onto the back of a Sugar Stone druzy cabochon, in the center of the cabochon, so the hole aligns lengthwise with the stone (see photo for reference). Repeat with the rest of your findings and cabochons. Allow the glue to dry before continuing. Design Tip: Not all of the button back finding holes are uniform, and the wire might not fit through all of them. Before gluing your findings onto your cabochons, test each finding to make sure the wire easily slides through the hole.
- Based on what you learned in the video, measure one six-foot piece of wire and cut it with flush cutters.
- Wrap the wire around the bracelet mandrel three times at the desired size, leaving a 9-inch tail on one side and the rest of the wire on the other side. Carefully hold your wire loops together and slide the bracelet off of the mandrel.
- Use your flat nose pliers to bend your shorter wire tail up at a 90-degree angle. Then, coil it tightly around the bracelet base three times, ending with the wire sticking straight up again.
- Slide on one druzy cabochon button, leaving space so that the coils you just made are still visible next to the cabochon. Bend the wire down so the cabochon lays flat against the bracelet. Then wrap the wire twice around the bangle, securing the stone to the bracelet.
- Now, you'll begin wrapping the wire tail around your stone, but you'll be modifying the process shown in the video. Pull the wire around to the other side of the stone, and secure it to the base with one coil. Then wrap the wire back on the other side of the stone, and make another coil around the base. Repeat this process again, making a secure coil every time you pass the wire from one side of the cabochon to the other. Once you've completed two full wraps around the cabochon, secure the wire to the base with two more snug coils.
- Clip off the excess wire with flush cutters. Use a wire rounder to smooth the tip of the wire, then use flat nose pliers to tuck it neatly against the base.
- You'll be using your longer wire tail for the remaining two cabochons. Visually decide where you want to place your second cabochon and move to that spot. Repeat steps 5-7.
- Decide where you want to place your third cabochon and repeat steps 5-8.
- You will repeat these instructions twice more to create the other two bangles in this set. Enjoy!
- WCR-2230 - Artistic Wire, Silver Plated Craft Wire 22 Gauge Thick, 8 Yard Spool, Tarnish Resistant Silver
Project uses 18 feet. You will need 1 package.
- FCO-9352 - Beadalon Flat Memory Wire Findings, Round 8mm Pad, 24 Pieces, Silver Plated
Project uses 9 pieces. You will need 1 package.
- SPCB-5042 - Dazzle It! Resin Sugar Stone Druzy, 25x18mm Oval Sew-on Cabochons, 5 Pieces, Light Vitrail
Project uses 9 pieces. You will need 2 packages.
- XTL-5511 - Beadsmith Jeweller's Micro Pliers Chain Nose Flat Nose
- XTL-5600 - Xuron Sharp Flush Cutter Pliers - Wire/Soft Flex
- XTL-0074 - Eurotool Nylon Jaw Pliers Chain Nose- For Scratch-Free Wire Work
- XTL-9026 - Hard Wood Round Bracelet Sizing Bangle Mandrel Wire Wrapping Tool
- XTL-0131 - Wire Rounder Tool With Wooden Handle 1.8mm Cup Bur
- XTL-1054 - E6000 Industrial Strength Glue Adhesive (0.18 fl oz)
|Ingredients||WCR-2230, FCO-9352, SPCB-5042,|
Purchase the components needed to make this project. Change quantities as needed to make multiple pieces. Please review project instructions carefully—some items may no longer be available for this project and will not be listed below. Tip: Save this project to your wishlist to easily return to project instructions.
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 1 Spool.
$7.49 / Package | SKU: WCR-2230
Earn Reward Points with your purchase of project components or tools.
Tools and Other Supplies:
$7.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-5511
$22.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-5600
$13.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-0074
$15.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-9026
$10.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-0131
$1.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-1054