Designer: Julie Bean
Skill Level: Intermediate
Celebrate the holidays in style by using these festive striped napkin rings for your dinner parties. They have been created using flat even count peyote stitch, and because the beads are size 6/0, they come together very quickly. Make for yourself or to give as a hostess gift!
- To start this project, please watch the video: How to Flat Even-Count Peyote Stitch.
- Cut a 6' length of Wildfire thread in black. Thread a size 10 beading needle onto one end of the thread.
- String on a bead which is not part of your "Deck the Halls" Czech seed bead mix in size 6/0. Just some small bead you have from your stash. Pull the bead all the way along the thread until it is 8 inches from the tail. Make a simple knot, one which you will be able to undo later. This is your bead stop.
- Now, take one bag of your "Deck the Halls" Czech seed bead mix in size 6/0 and spread it out on your beading mat. Place onto your needle: 1 matte red bead, 1 clear bead with rainbow finish, 1 green with silver lining, 1 gold, 1 red with high gloss finish, 1 clear silver lined, 1 green with high gloss finish, and 1 red with silver lining. A quick note, there are greens and reds which are just clear and those which are clear but with silver lining. These look almost identical in some lighting so I use them interchangeably in my bead weaving for this project.
- Pull those beads down to your bead stop. These beads represent your stripes which are also your columns in flat even-count peyote stitch - so you have 8 columns. Now, make your second row so that you start making stripes in the colors you have strung. Refer back to the video to see how to make these stripes. Flat even-count peyote stitch until you end up 56 rows.
- When you finish your 56th row, keep your needle threaded but put down your beading for a minute. Grab a second needle and go to the other side of your beading, the side you started on. Remove the bead stop and thread this second needle onto the end of the thread. Weave some of the thread back into your bead work and tie off the thread.
- Take your beadwork and fold it in half. When you fold the beading in half, you will see that the beads on each end look like little "teeth" that fit together, almost like a zipper. Take your threaded needle, which should be coming out of the top of a red bead, and arch it over to the other end of the bead work and down through the same colored red bead on the other side of your bead weaving. Zip up your beading by stitching the matching "teeth" beads together. Stitch until you end up at the other end of your beading.
- Your beading should resemble a small, completely enclosed, circular bracelet At this point, tie off your thread and incorporate some of the tail back into the beading.
- Make another 5 napkin rings following all the same steps from above.
- Happy Holidays!
- BCS-6915 - Czech Seed Beads 6/0 Mix Deck The Halls Christmas (1 Ounce)
Project uses 1440 pieces. You will need 5 packages.
- XCR-8936 - Wildfire Thermal Bonded Beading Thread .008 Inch - Black- 50 Yd
Project uses 36 feet. You will need 1 package.
- XTL-3004 - Beadsmith English Beading Needles Assortment So Handy
- XTL-5700 - Fiskars 5 Precision Tip Scissors - Super Sharp
- XTL-0106 - BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zap II Thread Burner Tool
- XTL-9930 - Beadalon Beading Mats - Prevent Bead Rolling 12 x 9 Inch (Set of 3)
Purchase the components needed to make this project. Change quantities as needed to make multiple pieces. Tip: Save this project to your wishlist to easily return to project instructions.
You will need 5 package(s).
1 package = 1 oz..
$3.29 / Package | SKU: BCS-6915
You will need 1 package(s).
1 package = 1 Spool.
$11.49 / Package | SKU: XCR-8936
Earn Reward Points with your purchase of project components or tools.
Tools and Other Supplies:
$3.39 / Package | SKU: XTL-3004
$7.35 / Package | SKU: XTL-5700
$15.99 / Package | SKU: XTL-0106
$3.79 / Package | SKU: XTL-9930